Martello Lakes, Dymchurch Road, West Hythe, Kent CT21 4ND
The Lake itself is a 55 acre former gravel pit site, now boasting over 40 acres of fishery and sailing water set in scenic surroundings. It is open all year-round to day ticket anglers and full members alike.
With sixty swims available across a wide range of locations, Martello Lakes offer maximum opportunities for your angling experience, with the added bonus of a brand new disabled and wheel-chair accessible swim.
We have paid particular attention to the stocking of the waters to meet every demand. All requirements are catered for, from satisfying the needs of the fully experienced angler to ensuring that novice anglers do not leave disappointed.
The range of fish within the waters is extensive, and includes many silver fish varieties such as bream. The main challenge and most satisfying experience however, will come from the large carp, some of them up to forty pounds.
Other species include skimmers, roach up to three pounds, rudd, perch, large and small eels and of course the ubiquitous pike.
We firmly believe in maintaining a natural balance and predators are an important part of nature’s cicle.
All swims are a mixture of grass and stone standing, with ample space for biveys and all your equipment regardless of your duration of stay.
It is intended, moving forward, that at least half the swims will have individual parking slots.
Another aspect we pride ourselves in, is the degree of privacy extended to the swim surroundings, allowing uninterrupted and quiet focus on the job in hand.
We regularly have special events and competitions, and details of any such upcoming dates will be found on our events page >>.
Opening hours & ticket prices
|Open||Availability: 24 hours a day (excluding Christmas Day)|
|Day tickets||7am – 7pm – £20 per ticket|
|Night tickets||7pm – 7am – £20 per ticket|
|Weekly tickets||7pm – 7am – £100 per ticket (7 days)|
Day/night/weekly tickets – contact bailiff between 7am and 7pm, 7 days a week (07970 704584)
Access times between 7am – 10am and 4.30pm – 7.30pm only
Facilities on-site cater for everyone, including those who are staying for longer periods.
We have toilets and showers, including full disabled facilities.
There is also a small club hut open to all, where you can relax and chat over events of the day.
- A maximum of 4 rods per member at the fishing site.
- All nets, mats & weighing sacks must be dipped before fishing at the site.
- Barbless hooks only, NO barb or microbarb are allowed at the fishing site.
- No bait boats are allowed on the lake at the fishing site.
- Members must have and use an unhooking mat at all times at the fishing site.
- Fish are to be lifted no higher than knee height at the fishing site.
- All fish are to be returned to their original swim as quickly and safely as possible once caught and weighted at the fishing site.
- Any broken tackle, brollies, chairs etc must be taken home by the members at the fishing site.
- No radios/music/loud mobile phones (please use headphones) are to be used by the members at the fishing site.
- No pets are allowed to be brought onto the fishing site by members.
- A rod licence required for members at the fishing lake.
- ALL litter to be taken off the site by the members at the fishing site.
- All guests must be 16 years and over at the fishing site.
- Juniors (under 16) must be accompanied by a competent adult at all times at the fishing site.
- Fishing times are: 7am – 7pm on day tickets / 7pm – 7am on night tickets.
- Members and guests are to respect the club and other anglers by keeping noise down to a minimum.
- No more than 4 nights per swim by members at the fishing site.
- Members are to spend no more than 7 nights at the site without a 2 day break.
- No lead core rigs are allowed to be used at the fishing site by member.
- No braided fishing lines are allowed to be used at the lake by members including spod rods.
- The use of any form of nuts in fish bait is banned due to the fish not being able to pass them which causes death.
- Please do not park on the grass but use the car parks provided as this is destroying and churning up the grass.
- Please stop using spod mix and maize in Martello Lake as this is killing off the algae and in turn the lake itself including the fish. ONLY bollies and pellets are to be used as bait in Martello Lake.
The premier angling experience in Kent
The Angling and sailing complex is located on the historic Kent Channel Coast at Hythe.
Set in an area of interesting topography an oustanding natural beauty just below the South Downs, it is right on the edge of Romney Marsh, with easy access to all major arterial roads.
Just off Junction 11 of the M20, adjacent to the A20 and A259, and close to the Channel Tunnel Terminal, access to the site could not be easier.
Within a mile of the facility, you will fine local shops and take-away food restaurants, whilst a short drive away takes you to the town of Hythe, where you will find more extensve services, including a bank and supermarket.
Ample parking is available for disabled visitors.